Urban Planning & Design
In a past life I worked as an urban planning and urban design consultant. It's still an important part of what I do and who I am; my work geospatial technology is driven by my desire to enhance the humanity of the communities and integrity of the environment we inhabit through design.
That short career lent me a few things, including:
- an extensive portfolio of complex, multi-disciplinary projects in urban planning, urban design, master planning, regional planning, redevelopment, and revitalization across a range of spatial and temporal scales;
- strong experience facilitating and presenting in community and government consultation and engagement processes;
- a refined urban design sense developed through six years working on public- and private-sector projects in the U.S. and Canada;
- a practiced hand in traditional urban design methods, including hand-mapping and drawing within a charrette environment; and,
- a high proficiency in software tools of the trade, including GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS) and 3D modeling programs (Sketch-Up, CityEngine).
Take a look at my project portfolio for examples of the kind of work I've done in this field.
I was previously an urban planner (et. al.) with O2 Planning + Design in Calgary, Alberta, where I supported both the planning and design studios. Prior to that, I had a formative economic development internship with the Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
I acquired my master's degree in city planning from PennDesign at the University of Pennsylvania.